Hello and welcome to the official grand opening of KaBOOM! Cosmetics (cue tumultuous applause)!
I have been hanging around on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook for a while now but I’ve been eagerly waiting to launch the written segment of my blog. The blog has been undergoing a little makeover and I have to thank the lovely Grace from Urban Hype Creative for all her hard work in turning my blog into a reality. So, to business!
First, a little bit about me. My name is Dani, I am 24 and I live in Brisbane, sunny Australia. I have been a long time follower of many amazing bloggers and vloggers but I have finally decided to take the plunge and get myself out there. Why?
Reason 1 – I am obsessed with all things beauty related!
Reason 2 – I need a creative outlet. My job is very intense and technical (more on that later) and doesn’t allow a lot of room for creative, arty things, which is why I want a space to let all that energy flow.
Reason 3 – I have been dreaming of my own blog for so long, I wanted to turn my dream into a do!
Now you know why I’m here, how about a little bit more on who I am? I thought that for my first post, you might like to find out a little bit more about me so here are 10 Facts About Me:
1. I am not a native Australian. I was born in Zimabwe, grew up in Botswana and moved to Australia with my family when I was 12. I have done a fair bit of travelling in my life and hope to do plenty more.
2. I am an exploration geologist. I spend about half of my time working in an office and the other half in the middle of a paddock with a bunch of burly men (that sounds weird, let me elaborate). I work FIFO (fly in, fly out) and live in a field camp for 2 weeks at a time (think tents, caravans, 4X4s) where we do most of our work, usually drilling to “explore” (hence the title, exploration geologist).
3. I have a sweet tooth like you wouldn’t believe. I have an amazing ability to make chocolate disappear and them magically reappear on my hips!
4. I have a wonderful (English) boyfriend. We met on my gap year in the England, where I was working as a tavern wench (read: bar maid) in the local village pub when he popped in for a pint and the rest is history. He ended up moving to Australia a few years ago, where he mostly grumbles about the heat (delicate little English rose!) but as he moved half way around the world for me and is an all-round good guy, I really can’t complain!
5. I love reading. I would much rather read a book than watch a movie and I read incredibly fast. Not tooting my own horn here, it’s a fact! Ask No.4 if you don’t believe me. I re-read the same series (Harry Potter, Song of Ice & Fire, etc) over and over again. Luckily, the boyfriend got me a Kindle a few Christmases ago and I love it to death!
6. I used to be the world’s fussiest eater. My parents worried that I would get scurvy! They tried the old “if you don’t finish your vegetables, you can’t leave the table” trick and I would just refuse to eat them and sit at the table indefinitely (which leads me to Point 6.5, I am incredibly stubborn!). Thankfully, once I got a bit older and actually started trying new foods instead of refusing them on principle, I discovered that most of them weren’t half bad. There are still some foods I can’t stand (I’m looking at you, bananas!) but I think everyone is entitled to not like some type of food.
7. I get motion sick like you wouldn’t believe! The only thing that I can deal with is flying. I even get sick if I sit facing backwards on the train (first world problems, I know).
8. I am pretty much blind when it comes to anything more than 10 metres away. I have been wearing glasses since high school but I invested in contact lenses and I couldn’t believe how clear everything was. It’s completely different from wearing glasses, I was blown away by the fact that everyone else could see that clearly on their own. So I am a big old nerd and have the dorky glasses to prove it.
9. I also have zero self-control. If I want a dress/lipstick/pair of shoes, I buy it. I can’t keep chocolate in the house because I will literally inhale a block in one sitting. It means that I usually have a very full wardrobe and a very empty bank account!
10. I have a fat cat called Earl, you may have been lucky enough to see some photos of him on Instagram. He is the weirdest cat I have ever come across! He’s like 2 different cats, skinny at the front and fat at the end BUT he is gorgeous and I love him. He was adopted from the RSPCA last year and despite never owning a cat before, I immediately became a crazy cat lady.
So there you go, now you know a little bit more about me and hopefully it entices you to come back and visit. I’ll be doing a range of posts about makeup, lifestyle and whatever else takes my fancy!
If you feel so inclined, you can follow me via Bloglovin, Instagram or Twitter (@kaboomcosmetics) or drop me a line to say hello at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m also on Facebook (KaBOOM! Cosmetics) so come on by and say hi.