Thursday 19 June 2014

Boe Beauty Eye Products

If you follow me on Instagram (@kaboomcosmetics, do it!), you might have seen Boe Beauty featured on one of my recent posts. I was a little sceptical at first, could something so cheap actually be decent quality? But I’ve quickly become a Boe Beauty advocate, I cannot say enough good things about the brand! Today I’m going to be reviewing two mini products, the Boe Beauty Liquid Liner and Mascara.


The Brand – Boe Beauty

Boe Beauty is a relatively new brand, exclusive to Big W. They have only been in stores since 2012 but have recently seen a surge in popularity. Most of their products retail for a measly $2 (!!) with a few slightly more expensive (and by expensive, I mean $10) sets. They also stock a range of beauty tools such as brushes and sponges. The products can be a bit hit and miss but if you’re only spending $2, then it’s really not an issue if you don’t like a particular product. I think the eye shadows in particular are a bit iffy, but the lip products seem to be winners! I would recommend doing a little research first, plenty of beauty bloggers have reviewed Boe Beauty products so you can pinpoint exactly where to invest your hard earned cash!

Side note: You may be wondering, how on earth can a brand make such cheap makeup? Well, the answer is that Boe Beauty products are made in China and imported to Australia by Big W. This means that the products are very likely mass produced and are likely not cruelty-free as China’s cosmetics policy requires all products to be tested on animals. I have not been able to verify this, it's just what I'm assuming based on the information I've collected. 
EDIT: According to the Boe Beauty Facebook page, they do not test their products on animals.

The Products – Liquid Liner & Volumising Mascara Minis (as part of a set on sale, equates to $0.70 each!)

My local Big W is very disappointing when it comes to Boe Beauty products. While they have a fantastic range of beauty tools and accessories, the makeup side is often non-existent. I was very pleased when I went in one day and saw a whole lot of kits on sale for $5! I picked up an eye set and lip set and the mini liner and mascara were part of the eye set, which also included 5 jumbo eye crayons. If you’re good at maths, 7 pieces for $5 = about $0.70 each which is a steal! The full price versions are $2 each.

It’s very difficult to find any info on Boe Beauty, there is no product website and none of the products in either of the sets I purchased has any name or shade listed. So this is a bit of guess work & Googling but I believe the two products I have here are mini versions of the Liquid Liner in Black Noir and the Volumising Mascara, also in black. 

Using the products

The Liquid Liner has a felt tip applicator which is very firm, I hate the floppy ones, you end up with eyeliner EVERYWHERE! It’s pretty quick drying and dries to a shiny finish. It’s also pretty smudge proof, I think it would take a lot of effort to budge this baby BUT it removes really easily, I didn’t have to scrub at all. I really enjoy using this eye liner and I am going to have to try and track down the full size version (damn you, local Big W, for always being out of stock!). 


The Volumising Mascara has quickly become my go-to daytime mascara. I know not everyone will like it, but for me, it’s perfect. I am blessed to have quite long, thick, dark lashes so I really need something to just accentuate without too much thickening otherwise I look drag queen-esque. Although this says volumising, I think anyone looking for volume will be disappointed. It just has a regular spooled brush and the formula is quite thin which makes it absolutely perfect for me, especially for daytime. So if you’re lucky enough to already have quite nice lashes, it’s great to accentuate, if you’re looking for mega-volume, shop elsewhere!


Overall Score


The Good 
Very affordable
Excellent quality for the price
Chic packaging


The Bad 
Volumising Mascara isn’t volumising!







KaBOOM! Cosmetics gives Boe Beauty Liquid Liner and Volumising Mascara:


All in all, I was very impressed with these two products. They were an absolute steal as part of the set and even for their regular price of $2, I think they are excellent value for money. Head on down to Big W to pick some up today. Very keen to hear your views on Boe Beauty too! 

Stay beautiful!

Dani xx

5 comments:

The Made Up Maiden said...

Great review, Dani! I LOVE Boe! It's actually been recommended by a couple of makeup artists too, like Dean Nixon from Master Makeup (I interviewed him on my blog). :)

I must say that I think the best products are the lipsticks and jumbo lip pencils. The shadows look chalky and the polish is pretty tragic. Lovely shades but they require like 4 coats for opacity!

dani the girl xo said...

Thank you lovely! I love Boe too and I definitely agree that the lip products are clear winners. I haven't tried the polishes yet but four coats is too much effort for me and the eyeshadows look quite chalky. I recently bought a pressed powder and bronzer and was quite impressed with both.

It's good to know that makeup artists love it too, that's how you know a good brand. I remember your interview with Dean Nixon, I'm happy to take his recommendations!

Holly Vale said...

They would be perfect for traveling with so compact!
I have to say I haven't been into Big W in ages I might have to have a look.
I like the look of the liner!
xo Holly xo

HollyDolly. 

dani the girl xo said...

They're excellent for stashing in your handbag too! Definitely pop into Big W when you get the chance, hopefully your Big W has better stock than mine.

Jen said...

I absolutely LOVE these lip glosses by Boe that I found in the bargain bin at Walgreens for $1. I bought several of them and they are hands down the best glosses I've ever used. There isn't much info on the packaging, so I was really curious, and ecstatic to find out that they are cruelty free! Not sure where everyone is from, but I'm in Sacramento, CA, USA and I had never heard of Boe nor seen any displays for their cosmetics. I just happened to come across these glosses in the bargain bin, and figured $1 wasn't much of an investment if I ended up not liking them. I'm really interested to try their other products, since I've been so impressed with their glosses. I do look for their products in every store I go into, but so far haven't found anything.

Post a Comment

 

KaBOOM! Cosmetics Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger