Tuesday 24 June 2014

Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner

When I first heard whispers of this product release a few weeks ago, I nearly DIED with excitement. Benefit has quickly become one of my favourite brands, there's just something about their products that is very unique. The packaging alone is enough to make most women immediately want to own everything in the collection, regardless of whether they would actually use it. I was lucky enough to grab one of the very first Push-Up Liners when they went on pre-sale, I was actually the first person in Brisbane to purchase one in store and it was VERY EXCITING! Here's what I thought of the They're Real Liner.
First person in Brisbane (and maybe Australia!) to pick up my Push-Up Liner in store on pre-sale

The Brand – Benefit

My favourite story about Benefit is the origin of one of their very first and most well-known products, Benetint. It was born when an exotic dancer approached the Benefit founders searching for something to make her nipples appear pinker. The brave founders, Jean and Jane Ford, went to work overnight boiling down rose petals and the next morning, Benetint was born! As I said before, there is just something very unique about Benefit, from the retro packaging to the on-trend products, everything about Benefit appeals to me! 

The Product – They’re Real Push-Up Liner ($35.00)
The awesome Loot bag I got with my Push-Up Liner

The Push-Up Liner is not the first in the They're Real range, that prize goes to the (pretty damn fabulous) They're Real Mascara. The Push-Up Liner is the product of 5 years of research into a problem that's been bugging women for years, how are we supposed to create the perfect winged liner look on the go?  While the effect of gel liners is arguably superior to pencil or liquid, gels can be messy and difficult to apply, usually requiring a brush and pots of gel liner usually dry out long before you've made any headway into using them up. Enter, the They're Real Push-Up Liner! This innovative new product places the gel liner into a handy pencil form which dispenses with a simple twist and the patented rubber tip makes drawing on your liner a breeze! My They're Real Liner came with a very handy booklet showcasing some of the different looks, as well as a step-by-step guide to activating and using the liner. Before I’d even bought and used the liner, I was really impressed with what Benefit had created and how they had packaged and marketed the They're Real Liner.

Using the products

I have read some reviews from other ladies who said they found the formula flaky and the product hard to apply evenly. I was quite worried after reading these reviews but I thankfully didn't experience either of these. I found the formula was a nice creamy consistency that quickly dried to a matte-black. It was a bit tricky to get the hang of using the Push-Up Liner and figuring out exactly how to angle it BUT once I figured it out, it was pretty easy. I would definitely recommend practicing on your hand/sibling/partner before trying it out on yourself. The ladies at the Benefit counter recommended stamping on the inner corner, middle and outer wing first then connecting them. My technique for winged liner is always to draw the flicks first so they’re even, then start from the inner corner, working outwards in small strokes. I found this worked quite well with the Push-Up Liner, although my first go was a bit messy!
One more thing I will add is that this stuff sets like concrete! On my first go, I accidentally got an eyelash trapped in the liner and it pretty much set the eyelash onto my face, I was worried it would be permanent! The non-smudging, quick-drying formula is great for nights out and full-on days, you don't have to worry about smudging it BUT it does mean it's quite hard to remove. Benefit are selling a new They’re Real Remover which I felt a little pressure from the Benefit staff to buy (I declined). After accidentally gluing my lashes to my eyelid, I began to worry that maybe I should have bought the remover too! My Benefit goody bag did include a small sample of remover but I decided to use my regular heavy-duty remover (the big guns) my LUSH Ultrabland, which worked a treat. So if you won't feel like buying the They're Real remover, don't worry, you won't be walking around with permanent eyeliner!

The Push-Up Liner in action!

Overall Score
The Good
Simplifies gel liner, no brush required
Gel won't dry out inside pen
Easy to use (once you get the hang of it)
Quick-drying formula, no smudging
The Bad
Tricky to get used to
Clumps easily
Can be hard to remove






KaBOOM! Cosmetics gives Benefit's They're Real Push-Up Liner:


 All up, I think this is a great addition to the market but I will warn you that it's not the easiest makeup tool to get the hang of. I love the way it looks but I found myself getting quite frustrated trying to learn how to use it correctly. I do love the convenience that the Push-Up Liner gives and I'm blown away by Benefit's innovation. Have you been lucky enough to try out the Push-Up Liner yet or are you planning to grab one when they go on sale on the 27th?
 
Stay beautiful! 

Dani xx

14 comments:

Unknown said...

FAB review x

Holly Vale said...

I'm so glad you like it!!
I have used it a few times now and only once have I had any trouble and that was the second time I used it it went clumpy and wouldn't glide I don't know what was going on that day but it was not cooperating but then the next time there was no problem again.
I was also expecting it to be a lot more expensive but it was pretty well priced.
I am super happy with mine! :D
Yey to us getting the presale!
xo Holly xo

HollyDolly. 

Sweetaholic Beauty said...

Great review! This actually sounds really good! And it looks amazing on you! :)
xx

dani the girl xo said...

Thanks for talking the time to comment, I'm a huge fan :D

dani the girl xo said...

It does take a little getting used to but overall, I'm quite happy with it. I think it helps if it's warm too, it tends to not go on very nicely when it's cold. I'm glad you managed to nab one in the pre-sale too!

dani the girl xo said...

Thank you! I think it's a really nifty product and a great addition to the market. If you're willing to be patient and practice a little, the results are really nice, it's well worth the $35

Unknown said...

I love that picture of you!!! You look great Dani..!!
I am still not convinced to buy it but i'll definitely check it out once it hits the stores and see if it works for me

dani the girl xo said...

Thanks Reshma, I was trying out something a bit different! I think it's a good idea to go and try it out before you decide, the ladies at Benefit were happy for me to play around with it.

Lisa said...

your eye makeup looks beautiful here! can't wait to pick mine up soon!

Multitasking Damsel Blog

dani the girl xo said...

Thank you, I was just playing around with some different colours. Let me know what you think when you pick yours up

.. said...

I am very very curious, I thought it was just an ordinary eyeliner.... gel liner on a stick.... that changes everything! I'll have to go check it out now!

LilynotLouise | Beauty and Food

dani the girl xo said...

It's quite an innovation, I wonder how long before other brands start to copy the idea? Let me know what you think once you've tried it out :)

Anonymous said...

The liner looks amazing on you!!! I really loved how the liner went on for e, but I had a lot of trouble removing mine even with the remover it came with. I'm not sure if I let it soak into my eyes enough. Maybe I should try the lush ultrabland remover you mentioned :) xx

Sarah | bowsandpleats

dani the girl xo said...

Thanks lovely :) I've tried both the They're Real Remover and Ultrabland and I think that Ultrabland does a better job and it's super gentle. I always hate trying to scrub off eye makeup because it's such a delicate area.

Post a Comment

 

KaBOOM! Cosmetics Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger