Sunday 29 June 2014

Benefit Brow Zings

Before last year, I hadn’t even used a Benefit product (shocking, I know!). Now I would say I'm a teeny bit obsessed with Benefit! The first product I tried was the go TropiCORAL cheek & lip kit….I hated it! The colours were all wrong for me and I ended up passing it on. Then last year, I was wandering around Myer and came across the Benefit stand. While the service was pretty awful (I was ignored for about 5 minutes until one of the ladies finally asked me if I needed help) the products looked so good AND they were doing little eyebrow makeovers. 
Now, I am very protective of my eyebrows, left to their own devices, I look like the love child of John Howard and the Yeti. I pluck them myself and have not let anyone near them since an eyebrow waxing incident when I was about 14 left me with approximately 3 eyebrow hairs on each side. So you can imagine how reluctant I was to let a complete stranger near my carefully cultivated brows but the Benefit lady PROMISED that no wax would be involved and she would only fill them in properly for me and so began my love affair with Benefit!

The Brand – Benefit

The Benefit brand was founded by twin sisters Jean & Jane Ford in 1976. Apparently, it was a coin toss between starting a casserole café or a beauty boutique and though I’m sure the casseroles would have been delicious, I’m not sure the world could be without Benefit cosmetics! Their original store was a boutique aimed at quick fix makeup items and it was where the Benetint was born (MA15+ rating advised for the next sentence). It was actually created for an exotic dancer who wanted to make her nipples look pinker! The brand is a definite family business, with Jean’s daughters joining in 2008 and helping build Benefit into a worldwide success. Benefit products are always beautifully packaged and the brand lives with the ethos that “laughter is the best cosmetic”. 

The Product – Brow Zings ($55.00) 

If there is one place you definitely want to get eyebrow advice from, it’s Benefit. When I finally managed to flag down a Benefit sales assistant, she was attentive and full of advice. I told her I needed some brow grooming advice (I had never filled my brows before) and she steered me towards the Brow Zings kit. It contains a coloured wax for shaping, a powder for filling, a mini hard angle brush and a mini blending brush plus some mini tweezers for on-the-go fixes. It comes in 3 shades (light, medium & dark) and your best bet is to head to a Benefit counter to let the lovely ladies to a test first. I have black brows and I'm constantly disappointed by only ever finding brown filler products, the dark shade works pretty well for me but I do wish Benefit would bring out a charcoal shade!
Brow Zings plus the Ardell Brow Grooming Pencil and Brush
Using the products

Brow Zings comes with an instructional pamphlet (which I have lost) but the ladies at Benefit are more than happy to show you how to fill your brows and I find it much easier being shown than reading instructions. It’s very simple, you use the wax first to set all the hairs in place followed by the powder to fill in your browns. That’s it! The powder is easy to blend in case you’re too heavy handed (don’t want to look like you’ve drawn them on with marker!) and stays on all day. I also like to use a spooled brush and some extra wax to comb everything into place, my brows are particularly unruly! It’s amazing the difference filling your eyebrows makes, once you’ve tried it, it’s really hard to leave the house without them done!
Unfilled brows (top) and brows filled using Brow Zings (bottom)

Overall Score
The Good
Easy to use.
Kit contains everything you need, down to the tweezers.
Benefit ladies can show you how it works.
Fantastic results!
The Bad
Not cheap
Only available in 3 shades





KaBOOM! Cosmetics gives Benefit Brow Zings:

Despite the hefty price tag, I feel that Brow Zings do a really good job. I especially like that everything you need is in one little kit. Are you a fan of Benefit? All comments are appreciated and feel free to contact me at kaboom.cosmetics@gmail.com if you have any questions or suggestions.

Stay beautiful!
Dani xx

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Really nice review and very well written! :)

Would you like to follow each other via gfc, bloglovin, instagram, twitter, facebook and g+? Do visit my blog and let me know where you follow and I will follow back right away!! :)

Keep in touch
http://www.myfashionfootprints.com/

Holly Vale said...

I have been tossing up between this and Anastasia Brow Genius but this sounds really good!
Thanks for reviewing it!
xo Holly xo

HollyDolly. 

dani the girl xo said...

I've heard good things about the Anastasia Brow Genius too, I have an Anastasia Brow Gel and I love it! I guess it's just a personal choice...or you could get both!

Anonymous said...

Your brows look great. I'm obsessed with finding good brow products. I have the opposite problem as you since my brows are very thin and sparse but dark and definitely need filling in. I wondered about brow zings. Now I will be checking it out xx

bowsandpleats.blogspot.com.au

dani the girl xo said...

Thank you! I feel like Brow Zings is great for adding definition and creating quite a dramatic or defined brow. It's usually a bit much for me day to day but it might be great for you if you have quite sparse brows.

Post a Comment

 

KaBOOM! Cosmetics Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger