I am very nervous about today’s post as it is my very first tutorial! I am not even close to being a makeup artist, I am very much a beginner so these would be perfect for other beginners because they are very simple. This looks uses the BYS Limited Edition Neon Palette (which I picked up from Kmart for $2.00!) and I think it’s a good night time look. Again, I’m not a makeup artist and I have a very limited skill set so these tutorials are meant to be fun and easy. So go grab your neons and let’s have some fun!
BYS Limited Edition Neon Palette ($4.95)
NYX I Dream of Nevis from the Caribbean Collection ($13.95)
Face of Australia Liquid Liner in Black ($8.95)
Benefit They’re Real! Mascara ($38.00)
Everyday Minerals Angled Liner Brush ($7.99 USD) and Eye Kabuki Brush ($8.99 USD)
Benefit Brow Zings ($55.00)
1. Do your base – I like to do my base (foundation etc) before my eyes. I know some people like to do it the other way around but this works for me.
2. Eye base - Use the cream colour, shade your eyelid and prepare a good base for your colour and liner. I used the cream shade from the I Dream of Nevis palette.
3. Add some sparkle - Use a silver sparky or shimmer shade and lend the silver colour the eyelid using a blending brush, with a little in the inner corner. I used the silver shade from the I Dream of Nevis palette.
4. Eye liner - With a steady hand, line the top lashline with a liquid liner (I used the Face of Australia Liquid Liner here), with a dramatic flick outwards. Tip: do the flick first followed by the lashline, I find it makes it easier to get both flicks the same. Don’t be afraid to use a straight edge to get a perfect line, I find a spoon is perfect for this!
5. Neon liner - Take the angled liner brush and pick up some neon colour (I used an orange from the BYS palette). Draw the colour on just above the liquid liner. It’s best if you do the first attempt very lightly then go back for more until you get the right colour. If you dampen the brush slightly, it helps pick up the colour AND you get a much better colour payoff.
6. Mascara - Finish with double coat of mascara, Benefit’s They’re Real! Mascara was my choice here.
Optional extra step:
7. Brows - Fill in brows using the Benefit Brow Zings kit. I'm going to be doing a brow post very soon if you're after some tips on how to fill your brows.
8. Put on your party shoes and hit the dancefloor, this look was made to be seen!
I think this look is great to gently dip your toes into the realms of neon without looking like you’ve run away from the circus! Are you brave enough to give this neon look a go? Please let me know if you’d like to see more tutorial-style posts. The comments section is always open and I love hearing from people.