Sunday 25 January 2015

Shop My Stash #1

One of my goals for the year was to spend less and try to use what I have. The problem with any makeup collection is that it's so easy to fall into a routine and just stick to your favourites leaving the majority of your collection to gather dust. This year, I've been making more of an effort to dig out things that I may have neglected and give them a whirl so welcome to the first edition of Shop My Stash.

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Mood Exposure $46.00 for 4.2g

 I coveted this baby for a while before finally giving in to temptation. This blush comes in six shades but Mood Exposure is definitely a stand-out shade. Despite the pretty marbled effect, it really does look a bit "meh" in pan but on the skin it gives the most gorgeous, natural flushed effect. I did end up purchasing the Ambient Blush Wardrobe too which also contains Mood Exposure but the single is a little easier to throw into your handbag. I can't think why I stopped reaching for this blush and I'm pretty happy to have re-discovered it.

Chi Chi Super BB Cream $22.95 for 50g

I'm not a huge fan of very thick, full coverage foundations so I love nothing better than a good BB cream. I purchased this one quite a while ago but have really only worn it a handful of times as my faithful Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream is my go-to. Since starting my efforts to shop my stash, I've worn this pretty regularly and have to say that I'm a fan! I like the consistency and the finish but most of all, the fact that it gives decent coverage yet feels like you aren't wearing anything. I would say that the shade Medium isn't quite a perfect match for my skin but I guess you almost always get that when a range only has 4 shades to choose from! Overall, a very nice BB and one that I will endeavor to use more often.
Designer Brands Outrageous Volume Mascara in Blackout $9.99

Designer Brands is an Australian budget beauty brand that I have to admit I know very little about. This mascara originally came to me via my Her Fashion Box subscription and has been used very infrequently since then. The packaging reminds me of the Rimmel ScandalEyes range with a fat, brightly coloured tube and the wand itself is just a standard mascara wand type deal. I was a little "meh" about this but I actually find myself quite liking the slightly clumpy effect that this mascara gives. I wouldn't say that it gives "outrageous volume" but it does give a good volume and length. Not bad for a budget beauty brand!

Essence Stay Natural Concealer in 04 Soft Honey $4.10 for 1.5ml

I love the Essence range in general but have never really been a fan of the base products as I can never seem to find a good match. I always end up a little Ooompa Loompa-esque! I bought this concealer ages ago and then promptly forgot that I owned it and dumped it into my spares storage. I was recently taking photos for my Boe Professional Lipsticks post and needed a concealer to clean up my messy lipstick and this is what I grabbed. It's one of the wind-up pen style concealers with a brush on the end making it really easy to use. THe actual formula is definitely not what I expected for a drugstore concealer. It's quite creamy but does get a little cakey if you're too heavy handed but a light touch and a good setting powder and this budget-friendly concealer could be your new BFF.

ASAP Pure Mineral Eye Pencil in Brown $20.00 for 1.2g

I highly suspect that I came by this in a subscription box but I cannot for the life of me recall which one! Technically it's an eyeliner but given my stuggles to find suitably toned brow products, I've been using this as a brow pencil. It's creamy and nicely pigmented and works really well with my brow colour too. One thing that did confuse me was the shade name. It says Brown but honestly, it looks and swatches like a charcoal grey which is fine with me because it totally works but it definitely isn't what I'd call brown. I'm crazy happy to have another product in my measly stash of appropriately toned brow products.
Bottom to top: Chi Chi Super BB in Medium, Essence Stay Natural Concealer in 04 Soft Honey, ASAP Pure Eye Pencil in Brown, Hourglass Ambient Blush in Mood Exposure
Who knew I had such a wealth of untapped products languishing in my stores? It really does help to try and shop my stash whenever I get the urge to buy makeup, which is unreasonably frequently! My bank account definitely thanks me and I've found some real gems so far. 

What have you discovered in your stash recently?

Dani xo 

3 comments:

Tasha said...

I should really get into shopping my stash as well, quite a few products go unloved in my collection! The HG blush looks gorgeous! If I were to buy one, I think I'd definitely go for that shade :)

Tasha // shiwashiful.

Dani - KaBOOM! Cosmetics said...

It's a great way to save and also make sure things get used up, both of which I'm terrible at! Mood Exposure is definitely the most beautiful, natural looking shade. I dont think anyone could resist!

Kate Flint said...

I need to get back into shopping my stash, you've inspired me :D Xo


Kate | themintedbeauty.com

Post a Comment

 

KaBOOM! Cosmetics Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger