Thursday 27 November 2014

DIY Lip Balm

Today’s post is something a little different, I’m branching out into DIY! A little while ago, I put up a pic on Instagram of my newly made DIY lip balms asking if anyone was interested. Quite a few people said yes so I thought I would share my super easy recipe to make your own lip balm. It’s quite, simple and easy to customise so you can put your own spin on your lip balm. I’ve been making this particular lip balm for a few months now and I love tweaking the recipe to make slightly different versions.


Ingredients


1. Beeswax – I like to use beeswax as my setting agent but if you don’t want to use animal by-products, you can substitute beeswax for soy wax. I just sourced my beeswax online from eBay through a company called Tanah Body that sells cosmetic grade beeswax.


2. Oil – Here’s where you can go a little crazy as it really doesn’t matter which oil you use, although they will all give slightly different textures and colours. I’ve used avocado oil which I find creates a harder, green balm and coconut which gives a softer, white balm but literally any oil will do!


3. Essential oil – This is the ingredient that gives a scent and a little more moisture to your balm and again, you can go crazy! My personal favourite is pink grapefruit, though I do also like to use vanilla and peppermint but the combinations are endless and it’s completely up to you what you want to use.


4. Containers – It’s completely up to you what you use. You can order little pots or lip balm tubes from eBay at very low cost or you could even upcycle some old containers. If you make too much, you can just pop the extra into any old plastic container and reheat to remould.


A little side note here: as there aren’t any preservatives in this lip balm, the recommended shelf life would be as long as the shelf life on whatever oil you are using. If the lip balm starts to look or smell funny, chuck it out!

Optional extras – If you want, you can add a little colour to your lip balm by using a few drops of edible dye or add a little more moisture with a few drops of Vitamin E.


Method



First things first (I’m the realest…I’m not really, I just couldn’t resist!):


1. Pop the beeswax and oil into a microwave safe container. You can also heat them up on the stove top but I’m sure lazy so I like to use the microwave. Use 1 part beeswax to 2 parts oil so if you’re using 1 tablespoon of beeswax, use 2 tablespoons of oil.


2. Heat up the mixture in the microwave, this should only take a minute or two. The mixture should melt completely, leaving you with a (very hot!) liquid.


3. Add in your desired essential oils, Vitamin E, colours, etc and stir.


4. Pour your mixture into your chosen container and leave to set. This only takes a few minutes but I leave mine for about an hour, just to be sure.

5. Once the lip balm has set, it’s ready to use!

The KaBOOM! Cosmetics Kitchen has churned out many a lip balm recently and now you can do the same! It’s so quick and easy and I love the knowing that the product I’m using was made by my very own hands. Please let me know if you give this recipe a go, I’d love to see your creations!

Dani xo

2 comments:

Cathy Bouris said...

Wow, I had no idea making lip balm was so straightforward! Thanks for this :D

KaBOOM! Cosmetics said...

No problem! I had no idea it was this easy either but if I can do it, I'm fairly confident that most people with normal hand eye coordination and motor skills can handle it!

Post a Comment

 

KaBOOM! Cosmetics Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger